Sports Massage Therapist, Chelmsford, Essex
The qualified and experienced sports massage therapist in our clinic can provide a range of sports massage and deep tissue massage services.
What is sports massage?
Sports massage is the manipulation of the deeper layers of muscle and soft tissues in the body. The massage therapist uses warm oils and direct pressure to relax the top layer of muscle in order to reach deeper layers of the muscle tissue. This type of massage can help relieve chronic aches and pain.
It can also be used as part of sports massage therapy and is used for treating the muscles and connective tissues of the body. It can help get muscles in the best condition for sports activities, stretch out tight muscles, help speed up healing of injuries and assist recovery after an event.
The massage can be stimulating or relaxing depending on the effects you want to achieve and the techniques used. A build-up of tension in the muscles from regular activity may lead to stresses in the joints, ligaments and tendons as well as in the muscles themselves. These imbalances can cause discomfort and inhibit performance in sport. The sports massage therapist can detect variations in the soft tissues and then use specific techniques to release those areas and make the tissues more supple.
If you are training for an event such as a Marathon, various types of massage can be beneficial as an ongoing treatment to help the tissues recover from the increased training demands and to help you work on muscles that may be tight and affecting your movement.
* Highly reviewed sports massage services with top ratings in Google Reviews and on Facebook from our Chelmsford area patients.
* Our sports massage therapist, Gemma, studied at the London School of Massage and has attained the highest qualification of ITEC Level 5 in Sports Massage Therapy. She also has a Diploma in Deep Tissue Massage and ITEC Level 3 in Full body Massage and a lot of practical experience treating patients – if you need sports massage, Gemma can help!
* Whether you need to come to our clinic for sports massage to deal with an injury or strain or as part of your preparation for a sporting event, just call us on 01245 522360 or pop in for a chat and we can book it for you.
The Benefits of Sports Massage
Some of the reported benefits of sports massage include:
- Increased joint range of motion
- Increased flexibility
- Increased sense of well-being
- Decreased muscle tension
- Decreased neurological excitability (nerves more relaxed)
- Decreased muscle spasms
- Better sleep
Purported benefits that are not necessarily supported by research include:
- Increased blood flow
- Increased elimination of exercise waste products (lactic acid)
- Decreased chance of injury
- Decreased recovery time between workouts